Hebrews 10:25 – Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another — and all the more as you see the Day approaching. (NIV)
Hebrews 10:25 – Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (KJV)
The Our Daily Bread devotional which I read recently was entitled, "Reasons Why I Never Wash." With permission, I quote:
- People who don't attend church often give some rather interesting reasons for not doing so. To show the weakness of those excuses, someone has compiled a humorous list called "Ten Reasons Why I Never Wash."
1. I was forced to wash as a child.
2. People who wash are hypocrites — they think they are cleaner than others.
3. There are so many kinds of soap, I could never decide which was right.
4. I used to wash, but it got boring.
5. I wash only on Christmas or Easter.
6. None of my friends wash.
7. I'll start washing when I'm older.
8. I really don't have time.
9. The bathroom isn't warm enough.
10. People who make soap are only after your money.
The application is obvious….
In sharing this list with some members of our church, we came up with some other reasons "not to wash":
11. I am too active in sports to wash.
12. I was too tired to wash.
13. I couldn't wash because I had company come over.
14. I am renovating my house so I couldn't wash.
15. After studying all the pros and cons of the uses of soap, I decided it was immaterial whether I washed or not.
16. I was disappointed by every brand of soap I used, so I quit washing.
17. When my children are older, then they can choose whether they want to wash or not.
18. Washing up only made me feel dirtier so I decided to quit washing.
19. My bathroom is too hot so I don't wash.
20. Washing up interferes with when I want to eat, so I quit washing.
What is your excuse for not "washing"?
Each of our congregations misses each and every person who doesn't come — and not for whatever the one who is absent can give or do. Each one who is absent is missed because each is loved.
Shall we wash this week? Let us also worship, in a congregation of God's people, in the midst of whom we may hear from His servants that God loves us.
Prayer: Father God, in the name of Jesus of Nazareth, we would come to worship you. Enable us to place your worship as the number one priority in our lives. Amen.