John 15:7-8 – If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. (NIV)
Each of us has a personal wish list. Whether the list is filled with things that bug us, or just things we wish we had or didn't have, I believe each of us has such a list.
Wishing is much like praying — praying for things either to change or to come to be.
If we have a list filled with problems, we can pray for them to be solved as we open up not only to God, but also to those who are a part of our problem. Here we can pray that others will honour our wish list (prayer list), and in doing so make things better for us and others around us.
If I were to make a wish list, I wonder what I would put on it. Let us all think about this one together.
- What about praying for peace in our world at this time, for peace and better understanding for others around us?
- What about getting to know our neighbour, and seeking to understand another culture?
- What about inviting someone to attend worship with us, or to come to a Bible study?
- What about caring financially for a child in a foreign country?
- What about helping the poor who need to be fed — either financially, or by preparing food and physically handing it out to them?
- What about going into the prison to distribute the Word of God (the Bible), or visiting the sick in hospital, or giving encouragement and comfort to those in nursing homes?
- What about giving of our time to share problems and to give comfort in prayer for one another?
The list seems endless. We could include many other things.
Prayer: Father in heaven, enable us to put together a list of the needs for those around us in this world. Help us to remember those who mourn for a loved one, those living in ill health, poverty, adultery, or abuse — all who need to receive Your care and love. Help us to think of the needs of others, and in so doing, help us to pray for one another and to honour You, our God. We come to You, the One who knows what's on our list, long before we ask. In Jesus' name, we pray, with thanks. Amen.