Malachi 3:6a – I the Lord do not change (NIV)
Hebrews 13:8 – Jesus Christ is the same yesterday today and forever (NIV)
There have been a lot of changes in my life over the past several years:
- Our youngest went off to university in the U.S.A. for 3 years.
- My parents seemed to age overnight, and the roles were reversed as they became more and more dependent on me.
- I changed jobs – going from teaching to becoming a church secretary.
- Our neighbourhood is changing. What was an empty field behind our home for almost 30 years now has 42 new houses being built in it.
- Our oldest has just moved out on his own.
- As my husband and I make plans for early retirement in a couple of years, we are contemplating moving from our home of over 30 years to begin a new life, as God leads us.
Change is inevitable and it's not always bad. In fact, change is good for us, but sometimes it takes some adjusting to. How good to know that our God never changes! He is the same yesterday, today and forever. The Psalmist says in Psalm 34, "O taste and see that the Lord is good." God will never let us go. God will never give up on us. God will never desert us. God will never reject us. God's mercies are new every morning. Great is His faithfulness.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, when things in our lives are constantly changing, we thank You that You are the same yesterday, today, and forever, and that nothing can separate us from You and Your love for us. We praise and thank You for Your goodness and faithfulness to us through all the changing times in our lives. Help us to trust in You as we face the changes and challenges that lie ahead of us. Amen.