Spirit Of God Descend
Author: George Croly
1. Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth, through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art,
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.
2. I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies,
No sudden rending of the veil of clay,
No angel visitant, no opening skies;
But take the dimness of my soul away.
3. Hast Thou not bid me love Thee, God and
All, all Thine own, soul, heart and strength and
I see Thy cross, there teach my heart to cling:
O let me seek Thee, and O let me find.
4. Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear,
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh;
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.
5. Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame --
The baptism of the heaven-descended Dove,
My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.